Last Updated on
Do you enjoy camping with your family or are simply tired of your kids spending way too much time on the internet?
If the answer to both these questions is ‘yes’, you ought to take the entire gang for a camping trip.
Camping will provide your family with a wonderful experience of exploring the wild. Kids love getting their hands dirty and will be eager to set up a tent and frolic through the open wilds.
Purchasing a high-quality family tent is one of the best ways to ensure you have a comfortable time out on the wilds.
However, with several options to choose from in the market, finding the right family camping tent can become a difficult decision.
Best Family Camping Tents Reviews For 2020
Coleman Weather Master 6-Person Tent
There may be several kinds of tents available in the market but the most popular sizes are the 6 and 8-person tents.
A 6-person tent makes for the perfect camping tent for a small family with parents and kids.
If your intention is to purchase a tent that will last several years, you should invest in the Coleman Weather Master 6-Person Screened Tent.
When it comes to durable camping tents, Coleman has a reputable name. The company has been in business for more than a century and is known for selling quality products.
- Sufficient Room for 6 People – The Coleman Weather Master 6-Person Screened Tent delivers as advertised and fits six campers comfortably.
- Floor-Less Screened Room – The tent features a spacious floor-less screen room that provides extra ventilation on warm days. It is a great place for gathering, eating meals or for keeping your belongings safe.
- Proprietary Weather Tec System – The advanced Weather Tec System ensures you remain dry and comfortable in the tent, regardless of rain or dew.
- Specially Angled Windows – The tent features specially angled windows that prevent rain from coming in, even if the windows are left open. The well-designed windows result in better air circulation inside.
- Insta-Clip Pole Attachments – The tent features Insta-Clip pole attachments which are sturdy enough to handle strong winds. This makes assembling the tent hassle-free.
- Easy to Assemble – Unlike other tents in the market, the Coleman Weather Master is quite easy to assemble and can be put together in 20 minutes or less.
- Added Space – The screen porch provides added space for your belongings, such as a couple of chairs.
- Good Ventilation – The tent offers good ventilation even when the temperature is high.
- Can be Divided – The space in the tent can be divided for privacy.
- Water Resistant Tent – The tent is water-resistant, hence campers do not have to worry about mild rain and dew.
- No Replacement Parts – There are no replacement parts for the Coleman Weather Master 6-Person Screened Tent, hence if something breaks, you might have to invest in another tent.
- Prone to Leakage – The tent is prone to leakage during rainy weather and storms.
- Flimsy Rainfly Material – The tent features a flimsy rainfly material that might not last long.
The tent may not be perfect but it is reasonably priced and offers sufficient space for 6 campers.
Avoid using the tent during stormy weather and you are good to go.
Browning Camping Big Horn Family Tent
Your camping trip is incomplete if you do not have a comfortable tent to nap or unwind in when you are headed outdoors. However, camping with your family can seem challenging if you cannot find the right tent.
Most good quality tents in the market are designed for small families and couples. Plus, family-sized tents are typically more expensive and are not always worth the hefty price tag.
It is thus important you do your homework before you step outside to make a purchase. If you are tired of hunting for a good family tent, consider investing in the Browning Camping Big Horn Family Tent.
The tent is perfect for camping, fishing or hunting trips. You can practically head out anywhere with this sturdy tent.
- Easy Assembly – The Browning Camping Big Horn Family Tent features easy assembly and only takes a few minutes to set up. The freestanding tent utilizes fiberglass poles that keep the tent upright.
- Wall Divider – The tent features a sturdy wall divider that allows campers to make two separate rooms.
- Waterproof Fly – The tent features a good water-proof fly that repels rainwater. This allows campers to enjoy their trip without worrying about bad weather. The tent features large zippers with large doors.
- Great Ventilation – The tent features six windows that offer good ventilation. The tent also has mesh pockets to keep bugs away.
- Great Performance – Overall, the Browning Camping Big Horn Family Tent is a pretty good tent and offers great performance. The tent is resistant to leaks and also offers plenty of ventilation during the summer.
- Warranty – Camping is a challenging activity which means your tent is likely to suffer from wear and tear. However, with the Browning Camping Big Horn Family Tent, you will have a lot less to worry about since the company offers a great warranty.
- Versatility – The tent is suitable for sorts of outdoor activities including camping or going out on picnics. This is the kind of tent you can use on all sorts of terrains and areas, making it a great all-rounder.
- Heavy – While the tent is suitable for all kinds of outdoor activities, it is not the best choice for hikers because of its weight. Backpackers are better off with a lightweight single-person tent.
Overall, the Browning Camping big horn family tent is a great buy if you wish to go on a camping trip with your family and friends.
Due to its reasonable price, campers need not worry about spending a small fortune when buying a tent.
Coleman Dome Camping Tent
8-person tents are the best option if you wish to travel out on the open wild with your friends and family.
Having a good company is likely to improve your camping experience and make your trip more enjoyable.
However, with so many different kinds of tents in the market, you may find it difficult to select the best one.
If you are in search of a quality tent that will not bust your budget, you should consider investing in the Coleman Evanston Screened Tent.
Coleman is a reputable company and is known for manufacturing quality camping goods for several years.
- Fits 8 People – The Coleman Evanston Screened Tent comfortably fits 6 people as advertised. Be ready to have an enjoyable camping experience with your loved ones, packed with fun. The tent can easily fit two queen airbeds.
- Fully Screened Front Porch – The Coleman Evanston Screened Tent features a fully screened front porch that keeps away creepy crawlies.
- 4 Large Windows – The tent features 4 large windows that offer maximum ventilation in even the hottest climates.
- Easy Setup – With its attractive design and easy setup, the tent is easy to pitch and take down. Thanks to the continuous pole sleeve, setting up the tent should only take 15 to 20 minutes.
- Weathered System – The tent features a handy weathered system that helps keep you dry in the case of rainfall and dew.
- Durability – The tent is constructed using highly durable material. It also features heavy-duty fiberglass poles that offer the trademark Coleman Evanston sturdiness and a strong base.
- Resistant to Bad Weather – The exclusive Weather Tech system ensures bad weather does not keep you from having a good time on your camping trip. The tent also features a sturdy wind strong frame that is highly resistant to heavy winds.
- Leak-Free Seams – The tent features leak-free seams along with Velcro attachments that provide campers superior protection against rain and harsh weather conditions. Plus, the waterproof flooring also adds strength to the tent’s floor.
- Front Screen Lacks a Zip – There is no zip on the front section of the day. This makes the tent unsuitable for stormy weather conditions and heavy rainfall. However, the screen is well constructed and is collapsible to offer greater protection against such elements.
Overall, the Coleman Evanston Screened Tent is a great buy and one of the most bestselling tents in the market.
The tent’s unique features make it a great choice for campers who enjoy heading outdoors when it is cloudy.
Wenzel Klondike 8 Person Family Camping Tent
The Wenzel Klondike is an exceptional family tent that has been around for several years. The tent is a great choice for you if you wish to enjoy a quick weekend getaway with your friends and family.
The spacious tent offers plenty of room for you to relax and unwind without worrying about nasty bugs and mosquitoes.
The durable tent is resistant to wear and tear and is likely to last a couple of years as long as it is used with care.
The Wenzel Klondike 8 person family tent is suitable for all kinds of outdoor adventures, be it trekking, camping or a family picnic.
- 2 Rooms – The tent features two rooms. While the larger space is formed by the dome, the smaller one is simply an extension made using mesh walls.
- Weather-Repellent Polyester – The tent is constructed using weather-repellent polyester that protects the tent against hard weather conditions.
- Full Mesh Roof Option – The full mesh roof option keeps bugs at bay and also adds stability to the roof.
- Two Pockets – The tent features two pockets where campers can store small camping accessories or personal belongings.
- Self-Repairing Zippers – The Wenzel Klondike 8-Person Family Tent features self-repairing zippers that are well-made. The zippers can be recovered if they are pulled out of place but campers need to be careful not to get caught loose fabric on the zippers.
- Ample Space – Since the tent can be divided into two rooms with the help of zip-up walls, you can use the added space to store your belongings or create a secondary sleeping area.
- Storage – Apart from the two pockets, the tent also features storage duffel and two hanging pockets. This allows campers to conveniently store their gear as required.
- Two Mesh Windows – The tent features two mesh windows that effectively keep bugs away so you do not have to worry about pesky critters while letting the cool breeze in.
- Durability – Constructed using quality materials along with a sturdy fiberglass frame, the tent is capable of standing tall, even in strong winds.
- Difficult to Assemble – One major con of the tent is that it is difficult to assemble and requires two people to put it up.
- Summer Tent – While the tent is advertised as a 3-season tent, it is best suited for summer use when the weather is bright and sunny.
The tent is highly recommended for families who wish to relax after a long hard day of adventure.
The tent is lightweight, spacious and easy to carry, making it a great choice for your next outdoor escapade.
Ozark Trail 10-Person Camping Tent
Are you and your family headed out for an exciting adventure to the wilds?
Well, then you ought to consider investing in a good quality tent. A comfortable tent can drastically improve your camping experience and keep your kids from complaining.
However, with so many different kinds of family camping tents in the market, you may find it difficult to invest in the best one.
Fortunately, Ozark is certainly a name you can trust. Ozark is a brand that specializes in manufacturing quality products at a reasonable price.
The tents are often packed with a myriad of different features and are suited for all of your camping needs.
If you are in search of a family tent that will easily accommodate your big family, you are in luck because the Ozark Trail 10-Person 3-room XL family cabin tent is the perfect tent for you.
- 10-Person Tent – The Ozark Trail is a great family tent that fits 10 people with some space to spare as well. The tent is spacious enough to fit in three-queen sized mattresses. You can create three rooms inside the tent by putting up two removable room dividers.
- Total Privacy – Apart from the space, the tent features separate entrances, featuring a single central door along with two side doors. This results in easy entry and greater privacy.
- 6 Windows – The tent features 6 windows for extra ventilation and to provide campers a panoramic view.
- Taped Fly Seams – The Ozark Trail Cabin Style Tent features a taped fly seam that reduces the risk of leakage and makes the tent suitable for bad weather.
- Includes Zippered Carry Bag – the Ozark Trail cabin style tent includes a zippered carry bag. This makes carrying camping essentials much easier.
- 6ft Height – At 6ft height, the tent makes it possible for tall people to stand easily without any problems.
- Easy to Assemble – Unlike other tents in the market, the Ozark Trail Cabin Style Tent is fairly easy to assemble and hardly takes a few minutes.
- Excellent Ventilation – The 6 windows and side doors offer extra ventilation, preventing the tent from getting stuffy.
- Weak Dividers – Customers have complained the dividers are not sturdy enough and hardly hook into the sides
- No Waterproof – While the Ozark Trail Cabin Style Tent is waterproof, it is not water-resistant and does not provide campers the protection they need against heavy rain.
The Ozark Trail camping tent is a pretty great family tent that is both spacious and comfortable. Not to mention, it is priced relatively lower than other tents on the market.
Factors To Consider Before Purchasing a Tent
First off, it isn’t enough for a tent to be large, there are several other factors you should consider.
Every tent is unique and is designed to perform a specific function. This is why you need to consider several factors before investing in a family camping tent.
Some important factors include.
The number one question you should be asking yourself is why do you need a tent?
Is it for taking your kids on a camping trip or are you simply looking for a tent your kids can use in the backyard?
Avoid spending too much money if you are purchasing a tent your kids can play pretend in.
If you and your family are avid campers who frequently go on outdoor adventures, you may invest in a fancier tent with a dozen specs to make your trip more comfortable.
Before you invest in a family tent, it is imperative you consider the season you will be camping in. Here are the major types of tents you can choose from.
3-season tents are by far the most popular choice since they provide lightweight shelters and are great for a variety of seasons.
You can conveniently use your 3-season tent for relative temperate conditions, including summer, fall, and spring. While they have the ability to withstand downpours, they cannot withstand harsh weather conditions.
3 to 4-Season Tents
3 to 4-Season tents or extended season tents are designed for prolonged 3-season usage. These tents are suitable for summer use but are also functional for late fall and early spring when there may be moderate snow.
These tents are much warmer than 3-season tents but are not as fortified as 4-season or harsh winter weather tents.
4-season models are able to withstand substantial snow loads, fierce winds and are great for any season. Their primary function is to stand tall in practically any weather, principally winter or above tree line.
They typically utilize more poles and tend to be heavier than 3-season tents. They usually feature rounded dome designs, eliminating the risk of snow collecting, like in flat roof spaces.
Since most families enjoy camping when the weather is pleasant, such as late spring, early fall or the summer, it is best you purchase a 3-season tent.
However, if your family is up for the challenge and wants to camp out during the winters, you ought to invest in something more durable, such as a 4-season tent.
Place of Use
Will your kids be using the tent in your backyard or do you need something that will provide your family shelter in a wild forest?
Keep these things in mind when you are investing in a family tent as it will help you narrow down your search.
Method of Transport
Will you be transporting the tent on your back or will you have access to your vehicle in the campsite?
If you won’t have access to your vehicle, you ought to invest in a lightweight tent. However, if your car will be doing the heavy lifting, you will have twice as many options to choose from.
Typically, lightweight tents compromise on specs and comfort but are relatively low-priced.
Frequency of Use
Will you be using the tent once every few years or will you be using it every other weekend for the foreseeable future?
If you are a family of avid campers, you ought to invest in a durable and solid tent the first time around.
The next major consideration is how many people you will be sharing the tent with.
It is also important you take into account the size of the individuals who will be staying inside the tent or whether or not you will be storing your camping gear inside.
While most brands specify the number of people that can fit inside the tent, the labels are not always reliable.
The labels (3-person, 4-person or 6-person) do not always ensure there will be room for an adequate number of people.
For example, a 4-person tent may not suffice four people if one or more campers are taller or broader than the average size.
Consider investing in a larger tent, especially if you will be carrying your camping gear. Additionally, a larger space ensures you will be able to use the tent again next year when your kids are much taller.
More room will allow your family to spend the night more comfortably, especially if your little ones toss and turn in their sleep.
While the height of the tent is something most folks do not put much thought in to, it is worth considering if you are a family of tall people or suffer from claustrophobia.
Cabin-style tents are a great option as they offer more standing room while dome-style tents are tallest only in the center. If you are planning on spending a lot of time in your tent, a cabin style tent is the most comfortable option.
The next important consideration you should make while investing in a family tent is the material of your tent.
Most tents in the market today are constructed using polyester or nylon. While nylon tents are more expensive, they are typically much stronger and lighter than polyester tents.
Polyester tents, on the other hand, are moisture-wicking and more waterproof than nylon options.
To improve water-resistance and protect your tent against UV rays, most tents are constructed using protectants, such as silicone or polyurethane. Silicone coated nylons are typically much lighter but more expensive than other options.
Tips For Making Family Camping More Enjoyable
You will find it difficult to relax and enjoy your trip if your kids are continuously complaining about bugs or how chilly it is outside.
Here are a few tips to make living inside a tent more comfortable.
Practice Setting Up The Tent
Camping is not the best place for surprises. For the next few days, your tent will be your home and your only shelter.
It is thus advisable you learn how to set up the tent properly. You can never predict what the weather will be like, hence it is advisable you learn to assemble the tent without the pressure of rain or darkness at camp.
Sure, you are camping out in the wilderness to get close to nature but that does not mean you invite insects to buzz around your ears. Carry bug and insect repellent to keep away unwanted bugs.
Also, avoid setting up the tent near stagnant water that is home to pesky bugs and insects. You can also keep bugs away by investing in a tent that features a mesh-covered window.
Your kids are likely to have a more enjoyable time if they do not have to worry about pesky bugs.
Make it Fun
While younger kids are easier to distract, try to keep older kids engaged by infusing fun on your trip. You can do so by setting up contests, allotting certain responsibilities to your teen or by packing some fun-filled board games.
Discourage the use of smartphones, iPods and video games since it is a camping trip after all. Be ready to hear complaints regarding boredom but try to remain positive.
Kids love bonfires and toasting marshmallows, so try to make memories with your children that will last forever.
Good gear can make your trip more enjoyable and hassle-free. If you want to sleep in a comfortable tent rather than a soggy one when it starts raining in the middle of the night, invest in good waterproof gear.
Your kids will thank you for your wise choice and might even be persuaded to say yes to a camping trip next summer. Keep these handy tips in mind to make your family camping trip more enjoyable.
Investing in a good quality family tent is one of the simplest ways to ensure you have a comfortable stay while you are out in the woods.
Good luck and don’t forget to have fun!